Policies and Procedures
||400s: Academic affairs
October 12, 2016
||402.1.2 Student Placement into College Courses
- Placement tests serve as an indicator of student preparedness to enroll in college coursework. Placement scores are used for the purpose of advising high school students to enroll in additional or advanced coursework in preparation for college. Colleges and universities are required to use placement scores as a prerequisite for enrollment in credit bearing, degree level coursework as stipulated below.
- Consistent with SBHE Policy 402.1.1 § 1 the following students are exempt from this procedure:
- Students 25 years old or older on the first day of class;
- Students from countries other than the U.S. and Canada; and,
- Students transferring 24 or more semester credits.
- Campuses may require additional placement qualifications of these subgroups.
- Required placement scores apply at all North Dakota University System (NDUS) institutions.
- A following placement score is required for enrollment in entry level, degree credit courses in English (e.g. College Composition I). Students without a qualifying assessment score must successfully complete a developmental English course before enrolling in a degree credit bearing English course.
|Test Component||Minimum Score ||Comments|
|ACT||English Subtest||18||Students with subtest scores of 14-17 may take ENGL 110 (College Composition I) if co-enrolled in a developmental English course when a co-enrollment option is made available by the student's home campus, or after they have passed a developmental writing course with a passing grade equivalent of "C" or higher. Students with a subtest score of less than 14 must complete a developmental course prior to taking ENGL 110 or equivalent course.|
|ACT Aspire||English Subtest||426||Intended for placement of early entry students while in high school.|
|ACT Compass||Writing Skills||77||This assessment will no longer be available after December 31, 2016.|
|ACT Plan||English Subtest||15||The ACT Plan has been replaced with the ACT Aspire assessment.|
|EdReady (NROC)||English Placement||TBD|
|Pearson (CLEM, CREAM, & Others||English||70%|| CLEM: Includes English Units 1-6|
|SAT(old)||Writing Subtest||430||SAT tests taken prior to March 5, 2016|
|SAT(new)||Evidence-Based Reading and Writing||480||SAT tests taken on March 5, 2016 and later.|
|Smarter Balanced||Grade 11/12 English Language Arts (ELA)||3|
- A following placement score is required for a student to enroll in an entry level, degree credit math course (e.g. College Algebra, Finite Math). Students without qualifying placement scores must successfully complete a developmental mathematics course before enrolling in a degree credit bearing mathematics course.
|Test Component||Minimum Score ||Comments|
|Accuplacer||College Level Math||50|
|ACT Aspire||Math Subtest||431|
|ACT Compass||Algebra||49||This assessment will no longer be available after November 30, 2016.|
|ACT Plan||Math Subtest||19||The ACT Plan has been replaced with the ACT Aspire assessment.|
|EdReady (NROC)||Mathematic Placement||75|
|Pearson (CLEM, CREAM, & Others||Math||70%||CLEM: Includes Math Units 1-16|
|SAT(old)||Reading+Math||990||SAT tests taken prior to March 5, 2016|
|SAT(new)||Math||530||SAT tests taken on March 5, 2016 and later.|
|Smarter Balanced||Grade 11/12 Mathematics||3|
- Enrollment in advanced college level, degree credit courses may require additional placement at some institutions.
- Aspire and Plan test scores may be used only by high school students for placement into NDUS courses and are superseded by ACT, SAT, ALEKS, Accuplacer, MAA Maplesoft, or Smarter Balanced assessment scores.
- Students who successfully complete a required developmental course or final course in a developmental sequence with a grade of "C" or higher that fulfills a prerequisite for ENGL 110 or MATH 103 will be deemed to have met the prerequisite to enroll in ENGL 110 or MATH 103. Students may request to retake a placement test to meet prerequisite requirements for ENGL 110 or MATH 103.
- Campuses may elect to apply the following placement scores in reading and science based courses:
**The Compass assessment will no loner be available after December 31, 2016.
- This procedure applies to any student admitted to an NDUS institution after summer 2013.
Reference: SBHE Policy -
New Procedure. Chancellor's Cabinet, January 4, 2012.
Chancellor Approved, January 24, 2013.
Chancellor's Cabinet, September 2, 2015.
Chancellor's Cabinet, October 12, 2016.