CommUniversity is a month of non-credit courses related to the humanities, daily living and public issues designed to stimulate thought and enrich lives. It is a joint effort each February between DSU and the Dickinson community to support lifelong learning, and as such depends upon the generous donations of community members for its continued operation.
With the help of these sponsors, CommUniversity 2013 is offering courses on both Sunday afternoons and Thursday evenings throughout the month of February. Sunday afternoon courses meet at Hawks Point (1266 Signal Butte) on February 3, 10, 17, and 24 at 1:15 and 3 p.m., with registration beginning at 12:30 p.m. The Thursday evening course meets at 6:30 p.m. in Room 15 of the South Campus Art Department (1031 West Villard) on February 7, 14, 21, and 28. Course titles include the following:
• Energy Politics-North Dakota's energy boom in context
• Supreme But Not Final-a history of the United States Supreme Court
• Terrorism/Counterterrorism-an exploration focused on the Israeli conflict
• Brain Health as We Age-how to stay sharp in the golden years
• The Fur Trade-natives, trappers, traders
• North Dakota Clay-history and hands-on Sponsors of Dickinson CommUniversity 2013 are Clinic Pharmacy, Command Center, Dennis and Roene Hulsing, Dickinson Public Schools, Dickinson State University, DSU Alumni and Foundation, Ebeltoft.Sickler.Kolling.Grosz.Bouray.PLLC, Fisher Sand & Gravel, Gate City Bank, Hawks Point, House of Color, Irsfeld Pharmacy, ND Health Mart Pharmacy, North Dakota Humanities Council and Sax Motor Company.
For complete descriptions of courses, cost and registration details, as well as other information, click here. For additional information, contact Dr. Peter Grimes at 701-483-2124 or at Peter.Grimes@dickinsonstate.edu.